Training Workshop on Establishment of Geosciencesbased Income Generation Ventures and Enterprises
NAH CONSULTS, the registered consultancy firm of Nigerian Association of Hydrogeologists (NAH) presents a capacity building forum titled “Training
Workshop on Establishment of Geosciences-based Income Generation Ventures and Enterprises” during the forth-coming NMGS Conference in Benin City, Edo State.
In Nigeria, unemployment and underutilization of tertiary institution graduates has become a teething problem and findings suggest that our tertiary education curriculum do not consider inclusion of consultancy and entrepreneurial skills. This is needed for job creation which could help them to be self-sufficient with potentials to create and manage businesses. In such situations, they can function as the employers of labor rather than endlessly waiting to be merely an employee. It is the recognition of the need to empower graduates for self-employment that has necessitated the inclusion of entrepreneurial education in the tertiary institutions curriculum.
However, in spite of the usefulness of introduction of entrepreneurship education into the institutions curriculum as an empowerment strategy for graduate selfemployment, self-reliance and poverty reduction, there is increasing population of unemployed or underemployment in all age brackets. Also, it is not being offered as a tailor-made training programme especially for geosciences-based courses in
almost all the educational centres. So very few Geoscientists still venture into entrepreneurship after graduation hence the desirability to have a forum where such appropriate tailor-made skills, attitude and knowledge accompanied with appropriate practical work are taught and acquired.
- Worklessness is a major social & economic problem of the decade
- Corporate & public sectors cannot provide the jobs required
- Creative thinking is required to create the new jobs
- Investing in young people & creativity will show economic & social returns
- Underutilization of potentials is a major constrain to development.
The Workshop will comprise several modules developed to address the issue of entrepreneurship skill but not limited to
- Policy and legislation Framework for Geoscientific Enterprises
- Overview of Nigerian Geology and Natural Resources
- Ethics, Business Skill and Creativity
- Venture Types and Entrepreneurship
- Fund Sourcing for Geoscientifical Enterprises
- Responding to Bid Invitation and Tendering
- Business Planning
- Setting up of Consultancy and Contracting Firms and Cooperatives
- Contracts and Project Management
This will be achieved through the use of tailor-made teaching aids and appropriate supporting materials focused on potential geoscientifical
Entrepreneurs with Nigeria business climate in focus. Participatory and Interactive group work and action learning activities approaches will be
- Underemployed Geoscientists; serving or retired or about to retire
- Students especially those undergoing postgraduate studies
- Inquisitive individuals willing to diversify into new geosciences ventures
- Practitioners concerned with procurement administration
- Regulatory agencies involved in the enforcements of standards.
- The beneficiaries will enhance their potentials as practicing Geoscientists
- Increase business skill and creativity
- Identification of potentials and recognition of opportunities
- Take advantage of existing platform and policy framework for increase and expansion of productive life and career
- Provide space that will enhance participation of geoscientists in national building
- Accord Geoscientists respectable recognition in national building.
Geosciences is the bedrock of Nigeria’s economy as it is elsewhere over the world hence, Participants will be equipped with necessary skills to enable operate successfully as geosciences-based entrepreneurial Consultants and Contractors in
Nigeria. Certificate of Participation will also be issued after the training workshop.
This will comprise season and accomplish practicing professionals with vast experience in the field of geosciences practice in Nigeria.
Dr. I. A. Okunlola, Bsc, MSc and PhD-Geology (Germany 1980)
L. L. Kolawole, BSc (Geology-Ibadan and MSc Geotechnic-Engineering Geology (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England 1985).
Training Workshop Fee = N25, 000.00
The fee will cover the cost of training manuals, workshop folder, refreshment and certificate.
Venue: NAH Conference Venue, ABUJA
Registration and sponsorship information:
For further enquiry please contact:
Dr. I. A. Okunlola COMEG Regd.
MD - NAH CONSULTS